Induction coils, more commonly known as inductors, are electrical devices that store electrical energy in a circuit by converting energy into a magnetic field. Inductors can be made as a single loop of wire or can consist of a wire coiled around a special core. They are often used as filters in power supplies. An inductor coil can easily be made from household items and an electrical wire.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Toilet-paper tube
- 2-feet of insulated electrical wire
Cut a 2-foot piece of electrical wire and strip 1/2 inch of insulation from the ends of the wire.
Wrap the wire tightly around the tube, leaving about 3 inches of overhang at the beginning of the tube. Use a ruler to be precise. The beginning part of the wire will be used as an electrical lead.
Leave 3 inches at the end of the wire as well to be used as a second electrical lead for the inductor.
Tips and warnings
- The toilet paper tube can be removed from the centre of the coil; however, it can be better to leave the tube in as this gives the coil something to hold onto, preventing it from falling apart.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for