Glass shower doors make some people feel exposed and are difficult to keep looking clean. Many people with these concerns use frosted glass for their glass shower door panels, but replacing your shower door panels may not be an option for you if you have a limited renovation budget. You can frost your glass shower doors yourself using frosted glass spray paint or etching cream. Apply the paint to the exterior of your shower, since the fumes will affect you more during application if you use the paint or cream on the inside of your shower.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Painter's tape
- Dust sheet
- Frosted glass spray paint
- Rubber gloves
- Etching cream
- Flat-edge, medium size paintbrush
Tape off any areas around the shower's glass, including the shower's frame and any exterior fixtures, such as a door handle. Lay dust sheets around your bathroom near the shower to protect the floor.
Shake your can of frosted glass spray paint vigorously and then apply paint to the exterior of your shower's glass panels. Use short, slow, even strokes when spraying paint. Cover all areas of the glass evenly.
Apply a second coat of spray paint after about 20 minutes. Over that time, the frosted effect should start to show, which will show you areas where you need to even out your spray paint coverage.
Allow the paint to dry completely, which usually takes about three hours or longer, before removing your tape and your dust sheet.
Tape off nonglass areas and lay out your dust sheets.
Apply the cream with a flat-edged paint brush. Apply a generous amount of cream.
Leave the cream on for at least five minutes, although you may see improved results by leaving the cream on for slightly longer.
Rinse away the cream away completely with warm water.
Remove your tape and the dust sheet. Clean the glass with a standard glass cleaner and a clean towel.
Tips and warnings
- When you purchase your spray paint, ask a home improvement store employee to shake the can for you in their machine to get the best performance from your paint.
- Open your windows and run a ventilator fan if possible while you paint with the spray paint or apply the etching cream. Always wear rubber gloves when using etching cream.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for