You can find plenty of information about a vehicle just by having its identification number, or VIN. If you prefer only basic information, such as year, make, model and specifications, you can access the information for free through some websites. If you want more detailed information, such as place of ownership, number of owners, or accident, title and service history, you can do so for a fee. Learn how to find vehicle information with a VIN.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Write down the VIN. You can find it either on a title, insurance card or on the vehicle itself. Look in the driver-side door jamb or through the windshield by the dashboard, also on the driver's side.
Tips and warnings
- When deciding between the Carfax and AutoCheck websites for your history report, check prices before you choose.
- Vehicle history reports are not always correct.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for