Although BT Broadband offers an install service, with an engineer who comes to your home to set up your broadband for you, it's an easy job to install the "BT Home Hub" yourself. Before you start the installation process, make sure that the BT Broadband service has been activated on your telephone line. The activation date is usually sent to you shortly after ordering the broadband service.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Unplug any existing broadband devices if you previously had broadband from another provider, such as modems or routers. You can leave any microfilters plugged in, as these are standard equipment and can be used with any broadband provider.
Plug in the microfilters provided with your BT Home Hub if these have not been previously installed. Every phone socket in your home with a telephone, fax or digital TV box plugged in will need a microfilter installed. The microfilters ensure the device will not interfere with the broadband signals, and lower your broadband connection speed.
Plug the grey broadband cable into the "DSL" socket on the microfilter, and the other end should be plugged into the socket labelled "Broadband" on the back of the Home Hub. Plug the power cable into the power socket on the back of the Home Hub, and switch it on at the wall socket.
Check to see the blue power light on the Home Hub is on. Wait until the broadband light turns blue, which indicates that the Home Hub has connected to the broadband service.
Insert the CD that was packaged with the Home Hub to install the BT software and complete the installation. If the software does not automatically start when the CD is inserted, run the "BT Home Hub Setup" on the CD.
Tips and warnings
- If you need more than the two microfilters provided with the Home Hub, extra microfilters can be purchased from BT or from a computer or electronics store.
- If possible, plug the Home Hub into your home's master telephone socket. This is the socket that connects to the external telephone line, and will give you the best broadband connection speeds.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for