According to the makers of MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology) shoes, our bodies and feet are not accustomed to modern life. As a result, we experience back pain and foot pain when walking in shoes. According to MBT, "natural instability has some amazing health benefits." MBT shoes were created after the realisation that the Masai walking barefoot on uneven ground are healthier than we are walking on hard, flat surfaces.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Choose a pair of MBT shoes which fit you perfectly and aren't too small or too big. MBT's come in a variety of designs for day and night, summer and winter, including sandals, sneakers and boots. Choose a design which fits your lifestyle best and which you can wear often.
Put on your MBT shoes and tie if necessary. Wear your MBT's as often as possible when walking, working or for general lifestyle. MBT's, worn as normal shoes, help make the body stronger by increasing muscle activity, improving circulation, posture and balance, toning the legs, glutes, abs and hips and reducing stress and pressure on the back, feet and joints.
Stand up straight in your MBT's. Posture is extremely important when wearing MBT's. They help you keep a straight back and a healthy posture, unlike regular shoes which make you tilt forward when walking. Rather than sliding the foot forward as regular shoes do, MBT's push the heel back.
Walk in your MBT's as you normally would walk. Take smaller rather than larger steps and always keep your back straight. You can wear them all day long when walking or standing. You should feel the shoes working on your muscles. Talk to your doctor if you experience pain or discomfort. For the first 8 to 12 weeks, wear your MBT shoes just for walking.
Wear your MBT shoes for sports such as training in the gym or for slow running once you feel comfortable in them--normally after 8 to 12 weeks. When running, keep an upright posture, make more frequent rather than larger steps to increase speed, and roll from heel to toe. This is known as floating in which all leg muscles work, leaving you feeling relaxed and massaged afterward.
Tips and warnings
- Talk to your doctor about any health conditions you may have or check the FAQ's on the MBT website. MBT's are recommended for back problems, foot pain, muscle ligaments, leg problems and other health conditions.
- Always wear sweat-proof socks with your MBT's. MBT shoes make the entire foot more active which results in more foot perspiration. However, MBT's have a built-in moisture management mesh.
- Back pain may be experienced during the first few days of wearing MBT shoes due to the different upright posture. It should go away on its own but speak to a doctor if it persists.
- Wearing MBT's must be supervised by a doctor if they are used as a therapy for basic health conditions.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for