The fuel pump in a Volvo 850 is located in the boot, under the spare tire. The fuel pump can cease to operate efficiently and need replacing. Knowing how to replace the fuel pump in a Volvo 850 from home will help you avoid what could otherwise be an expensive repair.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Replacement fuel pump
Disconnect the negative lead on your car battery. Open the boot. Lift out the carpet covering the spare tire. Remove the spare tire to expose the two cover plates. Unscrew the nuts holding the larger of the two cover plates in place, using the spanner. You should now be able to see a wire that connects to the fuel pump.
Run your hand along the wire, until you find the fuel pump. Disconnect the connector attaching the wire to the fuel pump. Unscrew the fuel pump collar. Pull out the fuel pump, and remove the rubber seal. Place it somewhere safe, remembering that it may leak, especially if the car has been used recently.
Place the rubber seal on the new fuel pump, and put it in position. Install the fuel pump collar, and tighten back to the specifications in your owners' manual. Reconnect the connector, attaching the fuel pump to the fuel pump wire. Put the cover plate back in position, and secure it in place with the nuts you took out earlier.
Tips and warnings
- The fuel pump will often leak when you are removing it, which can leave stains and other damage on the car. To avoid this, place absorbent rags around the fuel pump housing while you work, so the pump will only cover these disposable materials. This will help you avoid expensive an cleanup, after you replace the fuel pump.
- If the fuel collar is left off the tank for an extended period, the fuel tank may swell, as the connection between fuel pump and fuel tank is under pressure. This swelling will prevent the fuel collar from being refitted correctly, if it can be fitted at all. To avoid the swelling issue, replace the fuel collar as soon as possible or immediately, if you will not be fitting a new fuel pump right away.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for