Dopamine controls the body's pleasure principle, according to Science Daily. Additionally, dopamine seems to affect movement and motivation. Increases in dopamine receptors allow your body to absorb more dopamine, which could help to curb your appetite, motivate you in the workplace and even help prevent excessive alcohol or tobacco consumption. Many of the methods of increasing dopamine receptors possess fringe benefits that improve your overall health.
- Skill level:
Restrict your food intake over the course of the day, suggests Science Daily, making sure to eat enough food to survive, but less food than is needed by your body. Doctors at Science Daily found that the progression of dopamine receptor loss was less significant in rats with restricted diets. Also, for rats with restricted diets, scientists saw dopamine receptor increases.
Replace all caffeinated sodas, coffees and teas with natural decaffeinated green tea throughout the day. If you do not want to brew a cup of green tea every time you get thirsty, brew whole pitchers at a time. You can then use that pitcher to fill a Thermos to take to work or on jobs. According to "Psychology Today," the polyphenol in green tea helps increase dopamine levels, which ultimately could upregulate (increase) the level of dopamine receptors.
Exercise daily and regularly. If you find it hard to get motivated (which would possibly indicate a reduced number of dopamine receptors), hire a personal trainer or enlist a family member or friend to work out with you. According to the Brookhaven National Laboratory, exercise can increase the number of dopamine receptors in the brain.
Tips and warnings
- Avoid stimulants. Although stimulants function by increasing the amount of dopamine in the body, long-term usage can reduce the amount of dopamine receptors, according to Novus Detox. Cocaine and methamphetamines act as stimulants in the body, but so do caffeine, tobacco and some pharmaceuticals, such as Ritalin and Adderall.
- This article does not intend to diagnose or treat any disease.
- Do not change your diet without first consulting a doctor.
- Neurobiology, so far, is not an exact science. Because of this, many of the theories on brain functioning are based on trending, rather than proofs. Always exercise caution when trying to control the elements of your brain, as any change could lead to major breakdowns of your biological systems.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for