Netflix offers movies, TV shows and other programming to consumers on DVD and via the Internet. The company has more title offerings in its DVD library than it offers via the "Watch Instantly" feature that streams video to a computer. Some PC owners prefer to play DVD discs on their PC in addition to using the streaming option in an Internet browser. If you wish to have a richer viewing experience you can extend the Windows desktop from your monitor or LCD screen to a TV screen, provided you have or acquire the right equipment.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7
- Video card with S-video, TV-Out specifications
- S-Video cable
- 3.5mm-to-RCA Male audio cable (optional)
- DVD drive
- Windows Media Player (optional)
Connect the S-video cable to the S-video ports on your computer and your TV. If you are connecting audio, then plug the 3.5mm-to-RCA cable into the correct ports on the computer (3.5mm) and TV (RCA).
Right-click the cursor on a blank space on the Windows desktop to show a pop-up menu, then select "Personalization" to open a window. Select "Display Settings" to open a dialogue box.
Click a check mark in the box next to "Extend the desktop onto this monitor." Click the "Apply" and "OK" buttons to extend the desktop to your TV.
Press the button on your TV or on the remote control to change the input to S-video. You should now see an "extended" display on your computer monitor and your TV screen. You should also be able to move the mouse back and forth across the desktops.
Insert your Netflix DVD into your computer's DVD drive and use the native "Windows Media Player" to play the movie. Alternatively, open an Internet browser and bring up Netflix's website. Sign in to your account and then click the "Play" button next to a title to begin playing the video in your browser.
Move your cursor to the top outer edge of Windows Media Player or Internet browser window. Left-click and hold the mouse button down. Drag the player or browser window over to the display on your TV and continue watching your video.
Tips and warnings
- If you don't have or cannot acquire a 3.5mm-to-RCA male cable, rely on your computer speakers for the audio. You can still extend the desktop to show the Netflix video on your TV screen.
- Your computer must use a video card that has S-video with TV-out capabilities for this method to work. See your computer manual or visit the manufacturer's website to read about the video card's specifications.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for