The main difference between a car with a manual transmission and an automatic transmission is the use of a clutch. The clutch is used to select gears in a manual car. Some people prefer to use a car with manual transmission as it give the driver more control. Getting used to the clutch can be challenging at first but this becomes easier as you drive more. Even starting a car with a manual transmission can be tricky if you're accustomed to a car with an automatic transmission.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Get into the drivers seat and make sure the handbrake (e-brake) is activated.
Check to see if the car is in neutral--where the shifter is in the centre position.
Press the clutch all the way down, insert and turn the key to start the car.
Once the car is started you may slowly release the clutch and the car will remain started.
Tips and warnings
- The handbrake (e-brake) is engaged at start up as a safety feature, in case the car is in gear to prevent it from moving.
- If the car starts while in gear, it could lurch forward when you start it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for