Regular cigarette smoking causes tar stains on teeth and, over time, the tar and nicotine cause teeth to become discoloured and stained. Removing tar stains from teeth can help you regain confidence when you smile. White, healthy-looking teeth take years off your appearance and can be achieved with regular use of at-home tooth-whitening remedies rather than expensive professional teeth-whitening.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp table salt
- Fresh strawberry
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Apple cider vinegar
- Orange rind
Pour 1 tsp lemon juice into a bowl, mix in 1 tsp table salt then dip your finger into the lemon juice and salt mixture and rub the solution on the teeth. Lemon is a natural bleaching agent and salt adds a mild abrasive component that helps to scrub off stains. Follow by brushing your teeth as you normally would to remove the lemon juice and salt from your teeth.
Cut a fresh strawberry in half. Rub the white part of the strawberry against the teeth and gums to remove tar stains. Repeat this twice per day.
Combine 1 tsp baking soda with enough hydrogen peroxide to create a paste-like substance. Brush your teeth with the hydrogen peroxide paste, in place of toothpaste, at least twice each day. Baking soda freshens smoker's breath while peroxide bleaches the tar stains from your teeth.
Brush your teeth each night with plain apple cider vinegar. The vinegar will whiten teeth and keep them whitened and neutralise the smell that nicotine and tar give your breath.
Rub the white portion of the inside of an orange rind on your teeth each day, especially before you go out. Orange rind gives your teeth an attractive shine and makes them appear whiter.
Tips and warnings
- Cessation of smoking is the best way to resolve cigarette-stained teeth and is better for your health.
- Use at-home teeth-whitening strips to help remove tar stains from teeth.
- Eat an apple after each meal. The fruit naturally cleanses teeth, removing stain-causing materials.
- See your dentist for regular cleaning and check-ups.
- Tooth whitening kits can cause sensitivity to cold and hot food and drinks.
- If you have sensitive teeth, use salt to clean the teeth only twice a week so sensitivity isn't increased.
- When tooth-whitening techniques lighten your teeth but not to your desire, see your dentist. Discolouration of the teeth results from many factors. In addition to discolouration from smoking or consuming coffee and tea, age and problems with the teeth can play a role in discolouration.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for