Linksys routers are pre-configured with a default administrator user name and password. You change the password in your administrator console while configuring the router on your network. If you forget this password, you must reset it using the recovery options. Linksys routers have a reset button on the back of the router that allows you to reset the administrator password back to the default, so you can gain access to the router's interface.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Press and hold the reset button on the back of your router. Hold the button for about five seconds. The router reboots.
Open a Web browser on your computer and type "192.168.1.1" into the address text box. Press "Enter" to open the Linksys administration console.
Type "admin" for the password and leave the user name blank. Click "Log in" to log in to the Linksys router's console.
Tips and warnings
- After you reset the password, it's recommended that you change it to another value.
- Resetting the router is your only way to change a forgotten password, but you must reconfigure the router's settings after using the reset button.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for