Sunflowers are a beautiful addition to the landscape of a house, with the bonus of edible seeds. The outer shell of the sunflower seed is black-and-white striped once they mature. Sunflowers seeds are a healthy alternative to other snacks because they are high in vitamin E, magnesium and phosphorus. The nutrients in the seeds may help to lower cholesterol and help prevent cardiovascular disease. If you want to prepare sunflower seeds as a snack, you can roast and flavour them at home.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Unshelled sunflower seeds
- Saucepan with lid
- 2 qts. water
- 1/4 cup salt
- Paper towels
- Baking tray
- Sealed plastic storage bag
- 1 tsp olive oil or melted butter
- 2 tbsp dry seasoning
Rinse unshelled sunflower seeds under cool water in the sink to remove any debris and dirt from the seeds.
Pour the seeds into a saucepan. Add 2 qts. of cool water and 1/4 cup of salt. Stir until the salt dissolves. Bring the water to a boil on the hob. Place a lid on the saucepan and reduce the heat to simmer the seeds for two hours.
Remove the sunflower seeds from the saucepan by pouring them into a colander. Rinse the seeds off with cool water, and then spread them out on a layer of paper towels. Pat the sunflower seeds dry with the paper towels.
Preheat your oven to 149 degrees Celsius.
Spread the sunflower seeds onto a baking tray in a single layer. Place the seeds in the oven to roast them for 30 minutes. Stir the sunflower seeds after 15 minutes to keep them from burning.
Pour 2 cups of warm sunflower seeds into a plastic sealed storage bag. Add 1 tsp of olive oil or melted butter and 2 tbsp of your preferred seasoning. Seasonings that you can use to flavour sunflower seeds include salt, cayenne pepper, garlic and dry barbecue seasoning.
Seal the plastic bag and shake it to coat the seeds with the oil and seasoning. Pour the sunflower seeds on a towel to absorb excess moisture, then eat and enjoy.
Tips and warnings
- If you harvest sunflower seeds, you will need to dry them properly before preparing them. Cut the flower heads off the stem with at least 12 inches of the stem still attached. Cover the flower heads with cheesecloth so that the seeds can dry in the sun.
- Store sunflower seeds flavoured with olive oil in an airtight container.
- Consume sunflower seeds flavoured with melted butter immediately.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for