As a global company, Microsoft offers its Office software in many languages including French, Spanish and German. If you use an English version of Microsoft Word 2007, you can type, edit and proof text in German, if your version of Word includes the language pack for German. If your version of Word does not, you can purchase the Office 2007 Language Pack for German from Microsoft. Once your language pack is installed, you can switch between English and German for the user interface and use the proofing tools.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Microsoft Word 2007
Turn on the computer and click on the "Start" button in the bottom left corner. Select "All Programs." In the next menu, select "Microsoft Office."
Select "Microsoft Office Tools" from the next menu, and click on "Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings" to bring up the Microsoft Office Language Settings 2007 dialogue box.
Scroll through the "Available Editing Languages" field to see what languages are available. Click on the German version you want to enable. Click the "Add" button to add the language.
Click "OK" to enable German. If the language appears with the words "Limited Support," according to Microsoft, you are able to proof in the language, but you cannot use the keyboard to type in German until you enable the keyboard layout.
Open Word and a document. Click on the "Review" tab, and then click on the "Set Language" button in the proofing group.
Scroll down the "Mark Selected Text As" field in the Language dialogue box. The "Spelling and Grammar" icon, which looks like a checkmark with the ABC's above it, indicates which languages you can turn on for proofing. If there is no icon, then you will need to purchase the German language pack. If you have the icon, select "German (German)" or the version of German you need to use in the "Mark Selected Text As" field, and then click the checkbox for "Detect Language Automatically."
Click "OK" to add the dictionary. If you do not have the icon, you will need to purchase the language pack from Microsoft.
Tips and warnings
- Language Packs allow you to use German for more than just proofing. You can also use German for the ribbon commands, help menus and the keyboard layout. If you install a language pack, you can use the language for all Office 2007 programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher. As of September 2010, a language pack costs £16.20.
- For Word 2003, you can purchase the "Microsoft Office 2003 Proofing Tools" or the "Microsoft Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI Pack)" to install a German dictionary if it is not available on your system.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for