Hardwood floors add elegance and beauty to your home decor. Parquet flooring is a type of wood floor that usually comes in tiles or planks. They come in a wide variety of styles and colours. The tiles are often installed in patterns and geometric designs. Planks may be installed in a herringbone pattern. Parquet floors are generally easy to install and can be done in one afternoon, depending on the size of the room. The tiles are snapped together and are glued down with tile adhesive.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Parquet floor
- Tile adhesive
- Notched trowel
- Rubber mallet
Sweep the floor and remove any dirt and dust in the area that you will be installing your parquet tile. Dirt can cause the adhesive to not stick and can cause lumps under the flooring.
Draw a rough design of how your tiles will be laid out. Use your drawing for reference when you begin laying tiles.
Dip your trowel into the adhesive. Hold the trowel at a 45-degree angle with the floor and spread a 1/4-inch layer of the adhesive on a 5-foot section of the floor.
Lay the first tile immediately on to the floor. Start in a corner and work your way outwards to the other side of the room in order to use the most full pieces of parquet tile. Use your drawing as a guide to where the flooring will lay.
Place the second tile flush with the first and very gently use a rubber mallet to tap the flooring's tongue-and-groove edges together. The parquet tile should snap into place. Wipe away any glue from the surface of the tile with a rag. Continue laying sections of tile until your floor is complete, leaving a 1/4-inch expansion gap around the perimeter of the room.
Let the glue dry for a minimum of 36 hours before walking on the floor.
Tips and warnings
- Do not allow the adhesive to get too dry or the flooring will not stick.
- Scrape the adhesive off and apply a new layer if it begins to dry and crumble.
- Expect to have a working time of 60 to 90 minutes before the adhesive becomes unusable.
- Keep the lid on the adhesive can between uses so it doesn't begin to thicken.
- Keep the room adequately ventilated and the air moving with a fan.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for