Cats are delightful animals with their enjoyable antics. However, when these antics include urinating on your carpet, they are not so cute anymore. Before you throw out your carpet or furniture, or worse, the cat, try a simple method for the removal of the cat urine odour. It requires only some basic household products and a little of your time. In the end, it will be worth your time to discover what is causing this unacceptable behaviour on the part of your household pet. Prevention is better than the cure.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Rubber gloves
- Paper towels
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- 3 per cent hydrogen peroxide
- Scrub brush (optional)
Protect your hands with rubber gloves.
Soak up as much of the urine from the area as possible using paper towels. Press the towels into the carpet until the area is as dry as possible.
Wet the area with warm water. Absorb the excess liquid with paper towels.
Mix a solution of equal parts water and white vinegar.
Apply the vinegar solution to the area, being sure the solution soaks into the fibres of the carpet.
Allow the area to air-dry. Use a fan to speed up the drying process, if necessary.
Apply baking soda generously to the affected area.
Fill a measuring cup with 3/4 cup of 3 per cent hydrogen peroxide. Add 1 tsp of liquid dish detergent.
Pour enough of the solution over the baking soda to saturate the area. Work the solution deep into the carpet fibres with your fingers or a scrub brush.
Allow the solution to dry completely. The baking soda will return to a powdered form when it dries.
Vacuum up the dried baking soda. Use wet paper towels to remove the powder if the vacuum does not get up all of the residue.
Repeat steps 7 through 11 if the odour is still there.
Tips and warnings
- Add ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar to your regular wash cycle to remove urine odours from clothing, bedding or other washable items.
- Keep your cat's litter box clean. Change the litter regularly. Place the litter box in a quiet location.
- Check with your veterinarian if the problem continues to determine if there are health issues causing the problem.
- Test the solution on an inconspicuous area of carpet before cleaning the urine spot to be sure that it does not cause discolouration or damage.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for