With so many detox programs on the market, it's easy to feel pressured into choosing one when you feel the need to detox. Yet the body is able to detox naturally by changes you make in your diet. By following these simple steps, you will be able to detox your body naturally without having to buy a cleanse and without drinking only liquids for a week.
- Skill level:
Clean up your diet. Detoxing is as simple as eating clean, whole, unprocessed foods. Fitness phenomenon, author and diet specialist Tosca Reno emphasises that a clean diet is the main tool necessary for detoxing the body. By regularly incorporating healthy foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean proteins, flax seed and wheat germ as well as supplements you can institute a continual and lasting detoxification process within your system.
Help your liver. According to WebMD contributor and naturopathic doctor Linda Page, the liver detoxes the body daily. When it comes across foreign substances, it stores them outside the body systems; as a result, they're often stored as fat. Help your liver detoxify your body more efficiently by ridding your diet of any foods containing artificial ingredients such as artificial flavourings, food colourings, preservatives and chemicals. Also, limit medications such as pain relievers since they can have a negative effect on the liver.
Cut sugar. To detox naturally through diet, cutting out all forms of processed refined sugar will help you better avoid the foods that slow your system from naturally cleansing itself each day. According to Dr. Scott Olson, sugar is addicting and it will take some effort to cut it from your diet. Replace refined sugary products with naturally sweet alternatives such as dried and fresh fruits and moderate amounts of natural sweeteners such as stevia, maple syrup, agave nectar and honey.
Limit caffeine. In his book "The New Detox Diet," Dr. Elson M. Haas reveals that caffeine results in excess stimulation of the adrenal glands, which inevitably robs the body of nutrients. By causing a temporary drop in blood sugar, he says, caffeine can lead you toward sugary foods to fill the void. Help your body detox naturally by limiting your caffeine to one serving of no more than 250 mg per day.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Women to Women: Detoxification - Your Liver the Detoxification Specialist
- Web MD: Detox Diets - Cleansing the Body
- Glamour: Vitamin G-The Sugar Diaries: Exactly How to Start a Sugar Detox
- Natural News: The hidden dangers of caffeine: How coffee causes exhaustion, fatigue and addiction
- Keeping Family First: Fitness Celebrity and Author, Tosca Reno, Describes the Clean Eating Lifestyle-- The Key to a Lean, Healthy Body and Permanent Weight Loss!