Heilo is a sport-weight wool yarn from Dale of Norway. It comes in a myriad of colours which makes it popular for the colour work techniques like Fair Isle. It is 100 per cent wool and the finished items can be a little stiff. If washing the finished item does not relax and soften the wool, try using hair conditioner.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Basin or sink big enough to hold the item
- Hair conditioner
- Finished knitted or crocheted item
- Clean towels
Fill the basin with lukewarm water.
Add a squirt of hair conditioner to the water and swish it around.
Add the finished item to the basin, and gently press down to completely submerge it the water. Let it soak for a few minutes. Do not agitate the water or move the item around as this may cause felting.
Gather the item up, making sure that nothing is dragging, and lift it out of the water.
Press out some of the excess water out of the item and lay it on the clean towels.
Roll the item in the towels, gently pressing to remove excess water.
Lay the item out flat to dry.
Tips and warnings
- If the item needs to be cleaned, do that first, and then use conditioner in the rinse water.
- Choose a simple conditioner for normal hair, and avoid words like "volumizer" or "heat damaged" as these may leave a residue.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for