A well-organised make-up collection can alleviate the stress of having to rummage through piles of cosmetics just to find a favourite lipstick or eyeshadow. If you find your make-up collection is cluttering up space and getting ready is difficult, then it's time to organise. For some, organising may be second nature. But for those who need a little help sorting the clutter of a make-up drawer or bag, here are several tips for storing and organising beauty products and tools.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- A Pencil Holder
- A Cutlery Tray (silverware holder)
- A Tackle Box (optional, for larger make-up collections)
Go through your make-up collection and toss out old or unwanted products. Make-up that you have had for a while and never use can go in the trash. This will cut down on clutter.
Separate brushes, tweezers, eyelash curlers, and other application and grooming tools from cosmetics. Before storing, make sure brushes are cleaned and ready for use. You can clean your brushes using warm water and a mild soap, or with a brush cleaning solvent found at most beauty stores.
Put the brushes and other application tools inside the pencil holder for storage. Place the pencil holder next to your sink or on top of your vanity for easy access. Store brushes upright and in a dry location.
Separate all cosmetic products. Make a separate group for each category, such as eyeliner, mascara, lipstick and other products. In each grouping, organise by colour or brand, whichever you prefer.
For smaller make-up collections, place all mascaras in one section of the cutlery holder. Place all lipsticks in another section. Place all eye shadows in a separate section of the holder, and repeat with remaining products. For a larger make-up collection, use a tackle box to sort your cosmetics. You will want to keep each group of make-up products separate for easy access.
Keep the now-organised make-up container in a drawer in your bathroom, by your vanity or any convenient location.
Sorting, Catergorizing and Storing
Tips and warnings
- If you have an old jewellery box, you can use that as a make-up holder instead of a tackle box. For larger make-up collections, you can use multiple pencil holders to store mascaras, eyeliners, lipsticks or eyebrow pencils.
- It is important to throw away old make-up, and handle make-up hygienically. Make-up products do not have an expiration date, but once a product is open bacteria will start to grow. The older a product, the more likely it can lead to an infection. Always use brushes to apply make-up, never use fingers, to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- General guidelines for product life:
- Mascara-3 months (never "pump" the mascara brush into the tube when applying. Air pushes bacteria into the tube)
- Eyeliner/lip and eyebrow pencils-1 year (sharpen regularly to help prevent bacteria)
- Lipstick-1 to 2 years
- Liquid Foundation-6 to 12 months
- Eye shadows/powders-1 to 2 years
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for