Moles are a menace that can ravage your lawn or garden, tunnelling up to 100 feet a day. Not only do they eat bulbs and root vegetables, but they also create large burrows that will ruin your lawn. Moles are notoriously difficult to get rid of. If you want to avoid using poisons, the best way to rid your garden of these furry pests is to use dry ice. (References 1 and 2)
Things you need
Purchase a supply of dry ice from your local supermarket. Ask them to chip the ice into small, golf-ball size pieces. Transport the ice in a cooler. Dry ice turns from a solid into a gas to form carbon dioxide, or CO2, so don't keep it for long periods in a car or anywhere that is not properly ventilated. (References 1 and 2)
Wear thick gloves when handling dry ice. Dry ice will cause burns if it comes into contact with skin. Use tongs to extract pieces of dry ice from the cooler. Drop them into the mole holes in your garden.
Use a shovel to cover the holes with dirt so that the carbon dioxide from the dry ice does not escape. CO2 is heavier than air and will have a tendency to sink. The CO2 will sink into the top and bottom level of tunnels and suffocate the moles.
Cover all visible holes, even if you have not dropped dry ice into them, to prevent the gas and moles form escaping.
- Dry ice creates carbon dioxide, which is toxic to humans. Use the dry ice only in well-ventilated areas. Do not drink or eat dry ice. Do not allow dry ice to come into contact with the skin because it will cause frostbite on affected areas.
Tips and Warnings
- Dry ice creates carbon dioxide, which is toxic to humans. Use the dry ice only in well-ventilated areas.
- Do not drink or eat dry ice.
- Do not allow dry ice to come into contact with the skin because it will cause frostbite on affected areas.
Things you need
- Dry ice