"Radio has a unique combination of strengths," according to the Radio Advertising Bureau, the marketing body for radio in the U.K., which lists seven key reasons for choosing radio over any other medium. Placing an ad with Real Radio can help you take advantage of some of these strengths; the brand is well known and reaches 670,000 adult listeners each week according to its website. It's important to remember however that Real Radio is a network of radio stations rather than just one. At each stage you will need to be sure which broadcasting area you are dealing with.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Decide on the details of your advertisement, including a description of your product or service, along with information on your prices. Have a rough idea of how long you intend your ad to be and what form it will take. Also consider if you will use Real Radio services for producing your ad or a separate production company.
Choose which branch of Real Radio you will advertise on: Central Scotland, Northeast of England, Yorkshire, Northwest England and Wales. Your choice is likely to depend on the target audience for your product or service.
Contact the station using the phone number for the advertising team for the area you are interested in. Find the number on Real Radio website by clicking on the area then clicking on the "Advertise" link in the bottom left-hand corner.
Meet with the station to discuss and possibly create your advertisement. According to the Real Radio website, "Our first meeting with you is probably one of the most important we will have establishing exactly what it is you have to communicate and who you want to communicate it to."
Place your ad.
Listen to the station by tuning to the relevant frequency as listed on the Real Radio website or by going to the website and clicking the "listen live" button. It is important to listen to your advertisement to ensure it is being played in full at the correct times.
Tips and warnings
- Real Radio is a network of stations rather than just one. At each stage, including contacting the advertising team and listening for your advertisement, deal with the correct broadcast area as set out by the website.
- Advertising costs depend on the length of your ad, the frequency with which it is broadcast and the time of day at which it is broadcast. The U.K. website Marketing Minefield gives some approximate figures, saying, "Don’t expect to spend less than £1,000 ($1,500) per week when advertising on a large regional radio station."
- The cost of producing your ad will be separate from the cost of buying airtime, so remember to budget for both.
- Your advertisement will have to comply with U.K. law and broadcasting rules and regulations to be placed on the air.
- If calling from outside the U.K., remember to substitute the first 0 for 0044.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for