Many homeowners have to deal with black mould. Black mould is a fungus that feeds off a variety of surfaces and thrives in humid, damp locations void of sunlight. It can cause health problems. You commonly find black mould growing along basement walls. Since basements offer the perfect breeding for mould and its spores, the black mould can multiply and spread, causing a full-blown mould infestation. Fortunately, there are ways to remove the black mould from your basement walls and prevent it from returning.
Create a cleaning solution of 1 1/2 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of warm water. Pour the cleaning solution into a spray bottle.
Don your gloves, goggles and respirator. Mist the moulded wood with the cleaning solution. Scrub the cleaning solution into the wood with a stiff scrub brush. Allow the solution to air dry onto the wood basement walls.
Fill a bucket with 1 gallon of cool water. Add 2 tablespoons of a mild dishwashing liquid to the water. Mix thoroughly.
Submerge a cloth in the mixture. Scrub the wood with the saturated cloth. Allow the wood basement walls to air dry.
Create a cleaning solution of 4 parts warm water and 1 part bleach.
Saturate a stiff-bristled brush into the solution. Scrub the concrete basement walls with the brush until you have removed all black mould. Be sure to wear your goggles, respirator and gloves while working.
Allow the solution to air dry onto the basement walls.
Rinse the basement walls by scrubbing them with a clean scrub brush saturated in cool water.
Provide adequate ventilation and circulation. If possible, open doors and windows to the basement to allow fresh air to flow into the area.
Run a dehumidifier in the basement. Dehumidifiers pull the moisture out of the air. Without moisture, the mould cannot thrive. Use a dehumidifier to considerably reduce the number of mould spores in the basement air.
Place UV lights inside the basement. UV lights work in the same way as sunlight. They kill growing mould. Run the UV lights for a few hours at a time. Never leave them unattended.
When removing mould always wear a pair of rubber gloves, N-95 respirator and safety goggles without vent holes.
Never mix bleach with ammonia or products containing ammonia. The resulting fumes are toxic.
Tips and warnings
- When removing mould always wear a pair of rubber gloves, N-95 respirator and safety goggles without vent holes.
- Never mix bleach with ammonia or products containing ammonia. The resulting fumes are toxic.
Things you need
- Rubber gloves
- Safety goggles
- N-95 respirator
- Spray bottle
- Stiff scrub brush
- Mild dishwashing liquid
- Stiff-bristled brush
- UV lights