Grease from food that you are eating or cooking can leave stains on clothing. You can get food grease out of clothing by using a dish detergent to treat the stain before washing the clothing with a heavy-duty washing powder. Food grease stains are different than automotive or mechanical grease stains; however, all of these stains are oil-based and can be removed using this method. Stains from food grease become more difficult to remove with time, and it may be necessary to repeat this process several times to completely remove an older stain.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Heavy-duty liquid washing powder
- Dish-washing detergent
- Cotton cloth
Place a small amount of dish detergent onto a cotton cloth that has been soaked in hot water to rub the food grease stain. The dish detergent can remove any surface grease from the clothing and is especially helpful in removing the excess grease from a new stain.
Wash the clothing item with heavy-duty washing powder in a hot water cycle using the highest power setting on the laundry machine. Wash the clothing item with a half-load of old towels or clothing items that you no longer use, in case they become stained. This will create friction in the laundry machine to help the grease stain rub itself out.
Fill a bathtub with hot water and add 1 tbsp of dish detergent. Soak the stained clothing item in the bathtub for one hour or until the water has become warm.
Repeat these steps until the stain has been removed to your satisfaction.
Dry the clothing item for a full cycle in a dryer on a low or medium heat setting once the stain has been removed.
Tips and warnings
- This method of stain removal can be used to remove all types of oil stains, including hair oil, cooking oil and body lotions or creams.
- Do not use hairspray, shampoo or vinegar to remove grease stains from clothing. These products will not remove oil stains and may damage the clothing as well.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for