Concrete is commonly accepted as the best material for residential and commercial driveways. Its low maintenance requirements, durability and cost-effectiveness make concrete the most popular choice for paving. Local installers will charge a fee to pour and pave, but with research, planning and help from friends, you may be able to save money and construct your new driveway yourself. You must budget the project months ahead of time, but investing in concrete will pay off in the long run.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Determine whether you need to tear out old concrete, greenery or rock before pouring a new driveway. This work will have a large impact on cost if you will be contracting someone to do it.
Measure the dimensions of the proposed driveway, squaring off any oddly shaped portions, to get a rough estimate of its size in square feet. Multiply this figure both by 4 inches and by 6 inches to produce an estimate of the driveway's dimensions when concrete is poured to a depth of 4 inches and 6 inches.
Contact two or three cement contractors and ask for quotes for a driveway of your proposed dimensions. Request prices broken out into material and labour costs, then compare estimates. Expect quotes anywhere from £1.60 to £3.20 per square foot, depending on your need for pre-emptive demolition and disposal. Keep in mind that decorative stamping adds about £1.90 per square foot.
Expect to pay an average of £65 per yard for concrete if you plan to pour the driveway yourself. Calculate the number of yards of concrete you'll need by dividing the total square-foot estimate you made in Step 2 by 80 for concrete poured to a depth of 4 inches, and by 54 for one poured to a depth of 6 inches.
Tips and warnings
- Check contractor websites for photos of their previous work.
- Always contact more than one company to ensure that you find the best rate.
- Do your research and be prepared to spend more than a single weekend if you plan to pour the driveway yourself.
- Don't pay more than £3 per square foot for a standard concrete driveway.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for