Bleach is a cleaner and germicide used for many household stain removal projects, including the removal of mould, mildew and dirt on bathtubs. If you have an older bathtub, you may be horrified to discover that the bleach that cleaned your old bathtub has left behind brown and yellow stains on the surface of your tub. Use simple supplies to remove the discolouration caused by the bleach. Prevent future bleach stains on your bathtub by using non-bleach cleaners or natural home remedies.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring spoon
- Cream of tartar
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Oxygen washing powder
Place equal amounts of cream of tartar and hydrogen peroxide in a bowl. Mix the two ingredients to form a thick paste. Add more cream of tartar, if needed, to thicken the paste to the consistency of peanut butter.
Apply the peroxide paste to the bleach stains on your bathtub in a thick layer, using your sponge. Make sure to cover the entire stain. Allow the paste to remain on the bleach stains until it's completely dry. This may take a few hours.
Wet the sponge and wipe at the peroxide and cream of tartar paste on the bathtub. As you remove the paste, the bleach stains will be removed, as well. Rinse thoroughly with plain water.
Create another bleach-stain fighting paste to remove any stubborn remnants of bleach stain discolouration in your bathtub. Mix an oxygen washing powder with water to create a paste.
Scrub the washing powder paste into the bleach stain remnants with a clean sponge. Rinse with plain water to remove the detergent paste and bleach stain.
Tips and warnings
- Clean stubborn stains on older bathtubs with a magic stain erasing sponge. These sponges do not contain bleach chemicals and will successfully remove most any stain from your bathtub's surface.
- A mixture of table salt and turpentine can reduce yellowish stains on your bathtub, especially if it's made of porcelain enamel. Open windows, though, because turpentine has a strong odour.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for