Wooden signs can be used to decorate the interior or exterior of your home and can add a finishing touch to your wall or garden decor. Making your own decorative wooden signs is moderately easy to do and will add a one-of-a-kind touch to your home decor. Using basic craft supplies, you can make your own decorative wooden sign to be displayed in or outside of your home.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Thin, rectangular shaped wooden board
- Sand paper
- Acrylic craft paint
- Paint brushes
- Acrylic spray finish
Lay the wooden board down on a flat surface. Sand the surface and edges of the board to remove any splinters, stains or discolourations in the wood.
Paint the entire surface of the board using the acrylic craft paint, including the sides. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly before proceeding.
Arrange the stencils on the board to create the phrase or image you want to display. You might choose a quote or a picture that coincides with where the sign will be placed, such as flowers for a garden sign.
Paint within the stencil using different colours of craft paint than the one you used in step two. You may need to apply more than one coat of paint to create an opaque finish. Allow the paint to dry before proceeding.
Spray the entire surface of the sign with an acrylic finish to seal the paint. If the sign will be placed outdoors, use a waterproof spray to prevent the wood from warping and the paint from chipping in the rain.
Tips and warnings
- To mount the sign in your home, use a power drill to create two to four holes in the corners of the sign. This way you can nail the sign directly to a wall. To mount the sign in your garden, use a high quality wood glue to attach a wooden garden stake to the back of the sign.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for