Hollow moulds are important for such craft projects as making candy, soap, candles, cookies or resin jewellery. Making your own hollow moulds can unleash more creative craft results and boost profits from craft sales. Silicone is a very forgiving material for making your own hollow moulds. You just need to know the simple steps involved in making your own hollow mould from silicone putty and a catalyst.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 2 measuring cups
- Silicone putty
- Silicone catalyst
- Rolling pin
- Carving tools or items for impressions
Press a 1/4 cup of silicone putty into a measuring cup and set it aside. Then take a 1/4 cup of silicone catalyst and put it in a second measuring cup. Make sure that the measurement is exact because if you get too much putty or catalyst the mould might not cure properly.
Remove the silicone putty and catalyst from the measuring cups and begin to knead them together. Mash, smoosh and kneed until you see no white streaks in the silicone. It should be a soft, fluent baby-blue throughout.
Roll out the silicone rubber with a rolling pin so that it is twice as thick as the object you'd like to impress or carve. You must do this quickly as silicone will set very fast and become impossible to work with.
Take your carving tool and cut around the edge of the silicone so that all edges are smooth. Ideally you want a perfect circle or a perfect square mould so that it is easier to work with. Push whatever item you are impressing into the mould. If you are choosing to carve a mould, take your carving tools and carve out the shape you want in the silicone. Allow the silicone to cure for one hour before removing the impressed item or touching a carved mould.
Tips and warnings
- If you are using your item for candy or cookies, use impression items that do not have a lot of detail so the cookies or candy cook evenly.
- Always wear latex gloves when working with silicone products even if they are non-toxic. They may stain your skin for several days.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for