New quick-closing toilet fill valves can cause water hammer situations in many plumbing systems. Ways to eliminate water hammer after flushing a toilet include installing a permanent water hammer arrester at the toilet supply, installing a whole house bladder tank at the water heater or individual fixture arresters in several locations throughout the home. Installing a small, pressure-absorbing bladder tank on the cold water supply of the home's water heater is the best solution. Installing the tank will require some plumbing skill. The experienced do-it-yourselfer should have no problem with the pipe connects required.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Tubing cutter
- Emery cloth
- Acid brush
- Copper fittings
- Bladder tank
- Thread tape
Turn the main water supply off to the water heater, either at its individual fixture cut-off or at the main house supply.
Cut the copper supply pipe with tubing cutters in a horizontal location. Sand the pipe ends and fittings with emery cloth. Coat the outside of the pipe and inside of the fittings with flux; use a small acid brush. Install a tee fitting facing up. Cut a 2-inch piece of copper pipe and insert it into the top of the tee, and then slip on a female adaptor. Solder all the joints with a torch and lead-free solder. Wipe the joints clean with a rag and allow them to cool.
Wrap thread tape around the male threads of the pressure tank several time to insure a watertight connection.
Screw the tank onto the fitting by hand.
Turn the water back on and check for leaks.
Tips and warnings
- Always install the tank between the fixture cut-off and water heater.
- Installing the tank vertically is always the best choice.
- The bladder tank should be preset to an adequate pressure; however, adjustments my need to be made.
- Not following the manufacturer's instruction could cause personal injury and property damage.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for