Competitive rowers are among the world's best conditioned athletes. The movements associated with rowing will equally engage nearly every muscle in the body, as long as the correct technique is used. Rowing machines (or ergometers) are used by rowers both as part of their overall training program and during the months between regatta (racing) seasons. These machines simulate rowing on water and provide a superb cardiovascular workout. The Kettler Coach Rowing Machine is one such ergometer that is highly rated by consumers. To maintain your rowing machine, regular maintenance and care is required. One of the most important things to know about caring for your rowing machine is how to clean the slides in order to keep it operating properly.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Microfiber cloths
- Nonabrasive sponge
- All-purpose metal cleaner
- Dry lubricating spray
Remove the moving seat from the rowing slide according to the assembly and maintenance instructions that were included with the rowing machine.
Apply metal cleaner to a nonabrasive sponge and clean the length of the slide as the cleaner's label directs. Note that some metal cleaners will require water, while others are used undiluted and are simply rubbed on, then wiped off.
Wipe away any remaining residue or moisture with a soft, microfiber cloth. All traces of the cleaning product should be cleaned off the slide to avoid future product build-up.
Apply a dry lubricating spray to the slide. Make sure that a thin layer coats the length of the slide evenly, but avoid using so much spray that it leaves the surface overly shiny and slick.
Put the rowing seat back in place on the slide. After you have attached it, use your hands to move the seat several times along the slide. This action lightly coats the metal apparatus beneath the seat that secures it to the slide while the machine is in use.
Tips and warnings
- Never use steel wool or harsh abrasives to clean the slides of your rowing machine. Its movement depends upon two factors: the movement of the chain or cord attached to the handle(s) and flywheel, and the smooth glide of the seat on the slide. Any substance or material that scratches the finish, or leaves particles or debris behind will prevent or hinder the action of the moving parts. This can ruin your investment and shorten the life of your machine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for