Kevlar is a durable, synthetic fibre manufactured by DuPont. The material can be used for many applications. One popular use for Kevlar is in helmets, typically for the military but also for motorcyclists and cyclists. Having a Kevlar helmet painted by a professional can be quite expensive. However, if you are artistically adept, or if the design you want painted is simple, doing the job yourself can save you quite a bit of money.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Kevlar helmet
- Acrylic spray enamel paint
- Respirator mask
- Masking tape
Remove any accessories from the helmet, such as a face mask or chin strap. Using soap and water, wash the helmet thoroughly. Dry the helmet with a towel.
Sand the helmet evenly with the sandpaper. Brush and wipe off any excess material.
Draw design that you want painted on the helmet using the paper and pencil. Once your design is drawn, cut the design out of the paper with the scissors, creating a template. Repeat the process for additional designs.
Lay down newspaper in a well-ventilated area. Put on the goggles and respirator mask. Place the Kevlar helmet on the newspaper.
Using acrylic enamel spray paint, spray the entire helmet evenly with a base coat. Allow helmet to dry for one hour and repeat. This step is necessary only if you want to paint the entire helmet a different colour.
Place a template on the desired location of the helmet and tape to the surface. Spray paint over the template, assuring that paint is not going beyond the paper surface. Allow to dry for one hour and repeat the process.
Remove the template from the helmet after the paint has dried for one hour.
Tips and warnings
- Before painting, please check rules and regulations for helmet care and treatment if in the military or other organisation.
- Spray paint can be dangerous and possibly fatal if inhaled, so please be careful and work in a well-ventilated area.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for