Mold can grow on a variety of surfaces, including painted walls and furnishings. Remove the mould as soon as you find it growing to prevent the mould and its spores from spreading to other areas. Painting over mouldy walls and items will not kill the mould, and eventually the mould will bleed through the paint. You must kill the mould and clean the surface to remove all traces of the fungus.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Rubber gloves
- Spray bottle
- Mild dish washing liquid
- 2 cloths
- 2 5-gallon buckets
Open the doors and windows in the room.
Put on a pair of rubber gloves.
Fill a spray bottle with cool water. Add five drops of a mild dish washing liquid and shake the spray bottle to mix the contents together.
Mist the mould with the soapy water to keep spores from being released into the air.
Wipe the surface mould from the painted area with a cloth.
Pour 1 gallon of water into a 5-gallon bucket. Add 1/2 cup of bleach and mix thoroughly.
Fill another 5-gallon bucket with cool water.
Submerge a sponge in the bleach mixture and wring out excess moisture.
Scrub the painted area with the sponge in a circular motion until you can see no more mould. Allow the bleach-water mixture to remain on the paint for 15 minutes.
Saturate a fresh cloth in the clean water. Rinse the painted area with the cloth.
Turn on fans in the room to speed the drying process.
Tips and warnings
- Test the bleach-water mixture on an inconspicuous area of the painted surface. If damage occurs, discontinue use.
- Do not mix bleach with ammonia or products containing ammonia.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for