Make a homemade hockey cake to surprise a fan on his birthday or to enjoy with friends and family while watching the game. Use any type of cake you prefer as it will be completely covered with frosting.
If time is short or you don't enjoy baking, purchase a cake from the bakery of the local grocery store with plain white icing to serve as the base of your hockey cake. Add your own decorations and no one will ever know it's not homemade.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Cake mix
- Baking pan
- White icing
- Blue and red decorating gels
- Round chocolate snack cakes
- Plastic toy hockey players and goal nets (optional)
Prepare and bake one box of cake mix in a 9-by-13-inch pan according to the package directions.
Remove the cake from the pan when it is cool and place it on a large serving platter or rectangular cake board.
Frost the top and sides of the cake with white icing. Look for prepared white icing in the grocery store or make your own.
Press round chocolate snack cakes resembling pucks onto the frosted sides of the cake to form the border of the rink and give the cake a finished appearance.
Draw rink markings onto the cake using red and blue decorating gels. These are available in supermarkets and craft stores.
Tips and warnings
- Arrange plastic hockey players and nets on the frosted cake, if desired. You can find these items online from sellers of cake decorating supplies.
- Let the white icing harden on the cake before you apply decorating gels. If the icing is firm, you will be able to gently wipe away any decorating gel spills or mistakes with a damp paper towel.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for