While some people revel in the smell of newness -- be it new clothes, new shoes, new car or new furniture -- others find the persistent smell of plastic and manufacturing surrounding new items to be off-putting. The smell of newness can be an issue particularly when you buy a new mattress. If you aren't particularly fond of the smell to begin with, you probably won't appreciate basking in the scent while you slumber. Luckily, you can eradicate the smell with just a few steps.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Baking soda
- Odour-neutralising fabric spray
- Vacuum cleaner with hand-held attachment
- Mattress pad
Sprinkle baking soda over the entire surface of the mattress. Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. This will absorb all of the odours lingering in and around your mattress.
Vacuum up all of the baking soda, using the hand-held vacuum attachment. Vacuum thoroughly, so there are no stray bits of baking soda on your bed.
Lay your sheets and mattress pad out on a flat, clean surface.
Spray the sheets and mattress pad liberally with odour-neutralising fabric spray.
Put the mattress pad and sheets onto your new, odourless mattress.
Tips and warnings
- If there is a lingering scent of newness in the air, burning a scented candle can often chase that away.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for