How to Get Grant Money for Ex-Convict Halfway Houses

Written by gail sessoms
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Get Grant Money for Ex-Convict Halfway Houses
Halfway houses are part of community corrections. (houses on the street image by robert mobley from

The Second Chance Act, federal legislation which addresses recidivism outcomes, authorises funding for services to ex-convicts re-entering communities. The U.S Department of Justice, Department of Labor and other federal agencies provide grants for different components of prisoner re-entry programs, including halfway houses or residential re-entry centres. Halfway houses provide services to ex-convicts that include employment assistance, mental health, substance abuse treatment and housing assistance.

Skill level:

Things you need

  • Paper
  • Files
  • Computer
  • Telephone

Show MoreHide


    Halfway Houses and Community Corrections

  1. 1

    Research your community, assess the need for your program and write a summary that explains your program and its history. If your program is in the planning stages, develop a proposal detailing the program you wish to start and the services you will provide to ex-convicts. Be prepared to describe your program to potential funders.

    How to Get Grant Money for Ex-Convict Halfway Houses
    Make a plan to guide your efforts. (bussines plan 1 image by pablo from
  2. 2

    Develop a website so that potential funders can find your programs. Donors can make online donations through your website, and agencies that might need your services will find your halfway house in an internet search.

  3. 3

    Visit the Department of Justice Reentry website for information about re-entry initiatives and funding for halfway houses. The website has a page with links to state programs and funding opportunities.

  4. 4

    Visit and search for grants that support halfway houses, community corrections and other programs related to the Second Chance Act. Search for grants that support specific services, such as employment assistance or substance abuse services.

  5. 5

    Identify foundations, local charities and civic organisations whose grant focus areas include services to ex-convicts, halfway houses and community corrections. Start your search at the Foundation Center website. Contact the organisations or visit their websites to learn about eligibility criteria and application processes.

  6. 6

    Contact local community foundations. They manage charitable funds for individuals, foundations and corporations and can identify donors that might be interested in funding halfway houses or services to ex-convicts.

Tips and warnings

  • Contact the U.S. Bureau of Prisons and state corrections agencies and ask about contracts to house ex-convicts who are released into the community. Make sure your Board of Directors includes people involved in the community who can help with potential funding contacts.
  • Foundations only make grants to non-profit organisations that have been granted tax-exempt status by the Internal Revenue Service.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.