How to cancel a credit card by mail with a letter

Updated March 23, 2017

You can cancel a credit card with a letter sent to the credit card company. You have the right to cancel your card for any reason, and you're not required to list the reason in your letter. You may be cancelling because of a new card with a lower interest rate, or as part of a strategy to reduce your amount of available credit.

Get the address for your credit card company. Check your billing card statement for the address or call the customer service number on the back of your card.

Confirm that you have paid off any remaining balance and that there are no pending charges. Call the customer service number for the most up-to-date information. Alternatively, check your billing statement or log into your account on the card company's website. You cannot close the account with a remaining balance because as long as you owe money, the card company will continue charging fees such as annual membership fees and monthly finance charges. To completely end the relationship, pay the balance first.

Write your letter. In the letter, ask the card company to close your account and cancel all cards associated with it. Ask that the card company instruct the credit reporting bureaus to update their records to show that the account was "closed by request of cardholder."

Ask for written confirmation from the card company that the account was closed at your request. Include your address and telephone number.

Sign your letter and send it by certified mail to document its delivery, or send it by standard mail. Await a response from the card company.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Robert Lee has been an entrepreneur and writer with a background in starting small businesses since 1974. He has written for various websites and for several daily and community newspapers on a wide variety of topics, including business, the Internet economy and more. He studied English in college and earned a Bachelor of Arts in liberal arts from Governor's State University.