Grass and weeds often creep up in unwanted places. These may be alongside the bottom of your steps, in between the cracks in your driveway or around your mailbox. One of the best ways to get rid of the grass and weeds is to use household vinegar. This product is safe to use around children and pets, unlike chemical herbicides, and the acetic acid in the vinegar is very effective in killing weeds and grass.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 gallon of vinegar
- 1 cup salt
- 1 Tbsp dish soap
- Garden sprayer or spray bottle
Pour your vinegar into a bucket. The important thing to note is that you use the correct strength of vinegar. This can be found on the product label. The USDA found that 5 to 10 per cent vinegar worked to kill weeds that were in the early stages of development, while 15 to 20 per cent vinegar worked on the weeds in a later stage of development.
Add the salt to your vinegar and stir. Salt kills any type of vegetation, including grass. The salt will also keep the ground from producing new grass and weeds for some time.
Drip in your dish soap and give one final stir. The dish soap is just a bonding agent. It won't kill your grass and weeds, but will help the vinegar and salt do their job.
Transfer the homemade weed and grass killer to a garden sprayer if you need to cover a large area. If you only need to work with a small area, use a spray bottle. The spray bottle will give you better control for a smaller space.
Aim your sprayer one to two feet away from the weeds and grass you want to kill. Spray until the leaves are wet, but not so much that they are dripping.
Tips and warnings
- Look for a day with no predicted rain, and little to no wind. This will ensure that your weed and grass killer is not washed or blown to a different area of your property.
- Do not spray any vegetation that you want to keep around. If you do by accident, quickly rinse the area with water from your garden hose.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for