A mixture of fossils, sand and crystal, slate comes in a variety of colours, is highly durable and stain resistant. The easy maintenance and sophisticated look of slate makes it an ideal flooring for any room in the house. Slate flooring also is naturally slip resistant and non-absorbent, which means it can even be used in the kitchen and bathroom. If you have black slate floors in your home, proper care and cleaning will keep them looking their best.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Soft broom
- Vacuum with brush attachment
- Soft cloths
- Damp sponge
- Soft towels
- Dish soap
- Cotton mop
- Baking soda
- Small bowl
Sweep your black slate floor weekly with a soft broom. Regular sweepings will remove any dirt, sand, gravel and other residues on the slate surface. A vacuum with a brush attachment also will do the job.
Clean up spills immediately using a soft cloth. Remove sticky stains from your black slate floors using a damp sponge. Wipe the area with a soft towel to dry.
Fill a bucket with warm water. Add a squirt of dish soap to the warm water.
Apply the soap solution to your black slate flooring using a cotton mop. Wring the mop out well and go over the floor with a clear water rinse. Allow the black slate floor to air dry.
Pour a ½ cup of baking soda into a small bowl. Add enough water to form a thick paste. Apply the baking soda paste to the grout in between the black slate floor tiles using a toothbrush. Scrub the grout, rinse with clear water and dry with a soft towel.
Tips and warnings
- Remove your shoes before walking on your black slate floors. Removing your shoes will help to avoid tracking dirt and dust onto the slate surface.
- Most slate will not require the use of anything stronger than mild dish soap. Do not use any type of cleaner on your black slate floors that has an acid base. The acid will eat away at the stone, destroying the finish.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for