S'mores are a traditional dessert on camping trips. Gooey and chocolatey, no camping trip would be complete without an evening around the camp fire and s'mores. The name comes from what every camper says the first time they have s'mores: "can I have some more of those?" Don't wait to go camping to fix this delicious dessert: Fix S'mores in your own backyard with a BBQ grill or patio fire pit.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Chocolate bars
- Graham crackers
- Roasting sticks
- BBQ grill
Prepare a camp fire or grill and allow to burn. Marshmallows are easier to roast when there are hot coals in the fire. Find a long stick to roast the marshmallow. The stick can either be store bought or taken from the woods. A s'more stick is long enough if you can reach the fire without the heat searing your hand. Clean a natural stick by peeling the bark away from the tip with a sharp pocket knife.
Prep your graham crackers and chocolate before roasting the marshmallow. Place two squares of graham crackers and a square of chocolate on a paper plate, napkin or even your knee.
Place your marshmallow firmly on the end of the stick, making sure the stick goes all the way through. Place the marshmallow close to the hottest part of the fire. Try not to set your marshmallow on fire. The marshmallow for your s'more is done when it is golden brown. Have patience with your marshmallow roasting--an underdone marshmallow will not melt the chocolate of your s'more.
Sandwich the hot marshmallow between two graham crackers and a piece of chocolate. Wait a minute to allow the chocolate to melt and the marshmallow to cool.
Enjoy your camp fire s'more. S'mores are very sticky, so bring wet wipes or paper towels to clean up messy fingers.
Tips and warnings
- Experiment with different types of chocolate. Hershey bars are traditional, but you can also try dark, white or mint chocolate for a gourmet s'more.
- Try flavoured marshmallows for another twist on the s'more.
- Metal roasting sticks can be "cleaned" of marshmallow goo by placing in the fire and allowing the goo to burn off. Use caution, as the stick will get very hot.
- Supervise children when making s'mores. Make sure their stick is long enough to keep them a safe distance from the fire.
- If the marshmallow catches fire, blow it out quickly. You may still be able to eat it (some people ONLY eat burnt marshmallows).