Purchasing new carpet for your home can be a confusing and intimidating experience for the average homeowner. There are many types, styles and brands to consider, not to mention colours and the overall look. However, even if you are a novice you can feel confident that you have chosen the best carpet your budget will allow if you pay attention to a few simple details.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Compare carpet grades carefully. There is no industry standard for carpet grading and different manufacturers can use different qualifications to grade their products. Comparing grades only helps you when you are comparing carpets made by the same manufacturer.
Spread carpet fibres with your fingers to determine fibre density. Look at how close or far apart the base of the fibre tufts are to one another The closer the tuft bases are to one another, the denser the carpet and the higher its quality. Fibre thickness provides the luxurious feel of the tufts on the top of a carpet, but fibre density is a much more important factor when determining quality. Compare the density of similarly priced carpets to help decide which one is a better value.
Read the fibre content when looking through carpet samples. According to AcmeDIY.com, the highest quality fibres are nylon, wool and wool/nylon blends.
Examine the twist of the carpet fibres. HowToCleanCarpet.com reports that "twist refers to how many times a carpet's fibre has been spun before being heat set." Carpet strands that are tightly twisted are best. The ends of the strands will look neat and tight when examined.
Tips and warnings
- Choose the best quality carpet you can afford for high-traffic areas. Skimping on carpet for hallways and family rooms may cost you more money in the long run when you have to replace the carpet.
- Understand everything your carpet quote includes. Moving furniture, installing padding, removing old carpet and incidental supplies may be charged for separately.
- Quality installation is nearly as important as quality carpet. Even a high-quality carpet may not look good or last well if it is poorly installed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for