Denim garments have represented a number of groups throughout history, from cowboys to rebellious teenagers. Many people who follow the punk culture also wear denim vests and jackets to mark their allegiance, though these individuals often decorate their denim with patches, studs and spikes. You can create your own look by applying spikes to your denim vest.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Denim vest
- Dart awl
- Jewellery pliers (optional)
Lay your denim vest on a flat surface, with the front facing you. Lightly mark the vest in pencil where you want to place the spikes.
Push the dart awl through the denim in the first place you marked. Unscrew the spike and set the back aside.
Push the bottom of the spike through the hole you made with the awl; if necessary, insert the awl again and jiggle it around to make the hole bigger.
Hold the spike in place and flip the vest over so that you are looking at the inside. Find the bottom of the spike and screw the back into place to secure the spike. Test the spike by pulling it from the front to make sure it is in place.
Repeat with the rest of the spikes as needed until your jacket is complete.
Tips and warnings
- These instructions refer to screw-back spikes. Some spikes may have two prongs on their backs; press these spikes through the denim and use jewellery pliers to fold these prongs down to secure them.
- Find awls and spikes at arts and crafts stores or through Internet retailers.
- The number of spikes needed fill a denim vest depends on the size of the vest, pattern of spikes and space between spikes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for