Suede is a type of leather that is popular because of its soft feel and elegant look. However, it is also one of the most delicate and fragile fabrics to clean. Sometimes you'll find fabric glue you want to remove from the seams of your suede jacket. Dry-cleaning is the most common way to clean suede---which shouldn't come in contact with water---but you can remove the fabric glue from suede using household materials and without the help of a professional dry-cleaning service.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mild liquid detergent
- Warm water
- Plastic bowl
- Aluminium foil
Scrape the glue off of your suede fabric using a metal knife. Make sure the knife is not too sharp or you might accidentally cut the fabric. Remove all the surface glue on the fabric.
Make a mixture of mild liquid detergent and warm water in a plastic bowl. Mix it thoroughly and stir the mixture to create bubbles.
Apply the bubbly portion of the mixture on the suede using a sponge or a cloth. Using only the bubbles will ensure the suede doesn't get ruined, because it mustn't get wet. The sponge or cloth should only be damp when you rub it on the stain. Keep rubbing the stain until the glue comes off completely.
Blot the area with a dry cloth to soak up any excess moisture.
Let the suede dry completely and check if the stain is gone. If the stain is still there, place a piece of aluminium foil over the glue stain and go over it with a warm iron. The iron will warm up the glue and make it sticky enough to stick to the aluminium foil.
Tips and warnings
- Instead of mild detergent, you can use white vinegar or a few drops of nail polish remover in the mixture.
- Clean your suede garments at least once a year at your local dry-cleaning service to keep them in their best shape and condition.
- Use caution when working with a warm iron so you don't get burnt.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for