The blossoms of the hyacinth plant have a strong and pleasant fragrance. When a hyacinth blooms in the springtime you will see long skinny leaves that fold over, and flowers that resemble bells. These flowers come in many colours, including purple, orange and red. When fall comes, you can leave the bulbs in the ground or remove the them and immediately replant them in a different location. You could also store them and replant them later on. This is a good idea if you are planning a move, and you want to take your hyacinths with you.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Paper bag
Place your hyacinth bulbs on a sheet of newspaper immediately after you remove them from the soil, and set them in a cool dark place for three days. This will give the bulbs some time to dry out.
Brush all of the dirt off the dry hyacinth bulbs. At this point you can also dust them with an approved fungicide; if you choose to do so handle the fungicide safely following package instructions.
Place the bulbs in a brown paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over and tape shut. Then poke a few holes in the bag with the tip of a pair of scissors being careful not to damage the bulbs.
Designate a drawer in your refrigerator for your hyacinth bulbs. Place the bulbs in the drawer. Do not place any vegetables in this drawer while your hyacinth bulbs are in there. The gas that the vegetables give off will hurt the hyacinth bulbs.
If you have young children, you may wish to find another suitable storage area, since hyacinth bulbs are poisonous if eaten.
Let the bulbs remain in the refrigerator until you are ready to replant them.
Tips and warnings
- You should label your paper bag so that other family members do not take the bulbs out of the refrigerator.
- It is best if the temperature in your refrigerator drawer does not go below 35 degree F.
- Hyacinths are poisonous when eaten. Do not store any of your food near the bulbs.
- If you choose to use a fungicide, be aware that even those called "organic" require careful handling.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for