Air fresheners are a booming business. According to GoGreenHomeMakeover.com, Americans spent approximately 1.72 billion dollars on air fresheners in 2009. Air fresheners disguise unpleasant odours, provide comforting smells and can lift your mood. However, air fresheners that are commercially prepared can potentially harm your health. A study conducted by the Natural Resources Defense Council found that more than a dozen air fresheners contained toxic chemicals that may affect hormones and reproductive development, especially in babies. You can make your own homemade air freshener out of natural ingredients that will freshen the air just as effectively, without posing any risk to your health.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Lavender essential oil
- 946ml. glass spray bottle
- Rosemary essential oil
- Grapefruit essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- 59.1ml. glass spray bottle
- Baking soda or vinegar
- Cinnamon sticks
Make a lavender air freshener. Fill a 946ml. glass spray bottle with purified water. Add 15 drops lavender essential oil. Shake well before each use and spray into the air when needed.
Prepare a rosemary air freshener and disinfectant to kill odours and infectious organisms. Add 6 drops rosemary essential oil, 6 drops grapefruit essential oil, 4 drops lemon essential oil and 59.1ml. purified water to a 59.1ml. glass spray bottle. Shake well before each use and mist the air when needed.
Add 4 tbsp baking soda or 1 cup of vinegar to a small dish. Place the dish in one or more rooms of your house to absorb bad odours and freshen the air.
Place dishes of fresh-smelling potpourri throughout the rooms of your home. Potpourri is an assortment of dried flowers and herbs that emit natural floral fragrances and will help to deodorise and freshen the air in your home. Change the potpourri every three months.
Put several cinnamon sticks and cloves into a cheesecloth sachet. Place the sachet into a pot of boiling water for several minutes until a strong aroma is released, which will help freshen and deodorise the air around your home.
Tips and warnings
- During flu and cold season, add 2 drops eucalyptus essential oil to your homemade air freshener.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Natural Resources Defense Council: Air Fresheners Contain Chemicals That May Affect Human Reproductive Development
- Go Green Home Makeover: Dangers of Home Air Fresheners
- Stretcher: Natural Homemade Room and Fabric Deodorizers
- The Herbs Place: Rosemary Deodorizer and Disinfectant
- My House and Home Blog: Your Organic Room Deodorizer Recipes