While there are countless ways to deodorise a room, such as incense, commercial odour-eliminating sprays, air freshener inserts and candles, sometimes it's hard to find a pleasant scent that you can enjoy. Fortunately, you can make your own room-deodorising spray with a mixture of essential oils and distilled water. Essential oils are all natural and are derived from seeds, flowers, leaves, stems, resin, bark or fruit rind. A homemade deodorising spray can be just as effective at eliminating odours as commercial products, and its scent is often much more appealing to your sense of smell.
Things you need
Polysorbate 20 emulsifier
Essential oils: rosemary, grapefruit, lemon
Pour 1.5 milliters or 23 drops of rosemary oil, 1.5 milliters or 23 drops of grapefruit oil and 1 milliter or 15 drops of lemon oil and 4 milliters of polysorbate 20 emulsifier into a medium-sized bowl. Stir with a spoon to mix. The emulsifier is used to keep the oil from separating from the water that you will add in Step 2.
Pour 1 cup of distilled water into the bowl containing the essential oils and emulsifier blend. Stir with a spoon to mix.
Remove the top from a clean spray bottle and place a funnel inside the top. Pour the room-deodorising spray into the bottle and replace the top. Spray once or twice into the air and leave the room for two to three minutes. Return and see how the spray smells in the room. Spray once or twice more, if desired.
Shake the homemade deodorising spray well before using. Store in a cool, dry area. Stored spray should last two to three months.
- If you don't have any polysorbate 20, you can also use 4 millimetres of vodka. Yet, be aware that it can irritate the lungs when sprayed in the air, so use it sparingly. Patchouli and clove bud essential oils are also good for deodorising.
Tips and Warnings
- If you don't have any polysorbate 20, you can also use 4 millimetres of vodka. Yet, be aware that it can irritate the lungs when sprayed in the air, so use it sparingly.
- Patchouli and clove bud essential oils are also good for deodorising.
Things you need
- Large bowl
- Polysorbate 20 emulsifier
- Essential oils: rosemary, grapefruit, lemon
- Distilled water
- Spray bottle