Crystals can add a beautiful accent to a necklace or even work as a light catcher in your window. You can find and purchase crystals at arts and crafts fairs, hobby stores, online or from a jewellery store. Crystals can range in price from £6 to more than £130. If you want to make someone a gift or you want a pendant yourself, you easily can make a crystal point pendant.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Shallow tub
- Crystal point or crystal pendulum
- Drill bit (sizes 61-80)
- Drill press
- Chain (in the material of your choice)
Fill a shallow tub with water. A baking tray or baking pan will work well. It's easier to drill the crystal while it's wet.
Place the crystal point into the water. The water should barely cover the crystal.
Put on protective goggles or eyewear to protect your eyes from debris and crystal dust that can fly up while drilling.
Put your drill bit into the drill press. Use a tiny drill bit (bit sizes 61-80 is the smallest range of sizes). A small hole in your crystal will allow for an elegant chain and you won't have to worry about cracking the crystal.
Hold your drill perpendicular to the crystal at the spot you'd like to drill. Typically, the hole drilled should be about one or two centimetres from the end of the crystal (the "point" of the crystal should be pointing down when the pendant is hanging from a chain).
Drill slowly into the crystal, always perpendicular. If you move the drill slightly off, it can crack the crystal. Apply a very light pressure as you move the drill up and down until you've reached the opposite side of crystal with the drill.
Thread your chain through the hole you just drilled. You can purchase an elegant gold, white gold, platinum or silver chain. You can string fishing line through the hole if you're going to be using it as a light catcher. See Resources to view what your crystal point should look like when finished.
Dump your water down a utility sink (the crystal particles are so small they will not damage your plumbing). Clean off your drill and drill bit with a wet cloth.
Clasp the pendant around your neck or tie it to a curtain rod in front of your window.
Tips and warnings
- Crystal point refers to a quartz crystal that is long and rectangular that comes to a point on one end.
- To dress up a light catcher, place the crystal on a long doubled fishing line (so that when it's in the window it's at your eye level). Purchase some tiny, colourful round crystals from any craft or hobby store. String the colourful crystals onto the fishing line. Tie the line into a knot to your curtain rod.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for