If cold hands keep you from enjoying outside winter activities, make a set of hand warmers to keep your fingers toasty. These hand warmers are simple squares that you sew and fill with uncooked rice. When you warm them in the microwave for about a minute and slip them inside your gloves, they will help keep your hands warm for about 30 minutes.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Small amount of fleece, flannel or other soft fabric
- Sewing machine
- 1/2 cup regular rice
- Measuring cup
- Hand sewing needle
Measure and cut four 4-by-4-inch squares from fabric.
Place the right sides of two pieces of fabric together. Use a 1/2-inch seam to sew around all edges, leaving a 2-inch opening on one side for turning and filling. Sew again over first stitching line to ensure there are no tiny holes in the seams for rice to come through. Turn the pouch right side out.
Pour 1/4 cup rice into the pouch.
Use a hand sewing needle and thread to stitch securely closed the 2-inch opening.
Repeat steps 2 through 4 for the second pouch.
Tips and warnings
- Use tightly woven fabric to prevent rice from coming through the fabric.
- Monitor hand warmers while they are being microwaved to ensure they do not overheat.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for