One way to accent a bedroom or divide a large room into smaller ones is to use a simple room divider. This is an easy way to display your artistic talent and add to the decor of a room at the same time. Room dividers are constructed from many different materials, but to keep it simple and within a modest budget, using louvered closet doors is an excellent start. Because of their construction, louvered closet doors can be painted or stained. If you are good with fabrics, you can make your own custom design and attach it to the doors with staples or glue.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Louvered closet doors
- One set of louvered closet door hinges
- Variable speed drill
- 1/16-inch drill bit
- Philips head screw tip
Place the set of louvered closet bifold doors on a worktable. Open them so that they look as if they are going to be installed in a closet opening.
Measure the distance from one end of one of the doors to the top of the first hinge on that door. Next, measure from the same end of the doors down the edge of the door that has no hinges on it and make a mark at the measurement. Do this on the edges of both doors and then repeat this from the other end of the bifold doors.
Next, measure from one end of the doors to the hinge in the centre of the bifold door and mark the edges without hinges accordingly. Place the new hinges on the marks and trace the screw holes onto the edge of the doors.
Drill a pilot hole in the centre of the screw hole marking for each screw with the 1/16-inch drill bit. Be careful to only drill as deep as the screws are long.
Install the hinges according to the instructions that came with the hinges. Fold the doors together. Stand the new room divider on its end and unfold to the desired length.
Tips and warnings
- The doors will have to be balanced when unfolding them so they can stand without falling over. Paint or stain the bifold doors before hinging them together.
- Do not leave power tools unattended in the presence of small children. Do not paint or stain the doors without proper ventilation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for