Convertibles are the perfect summer cars. The driver can cruise with the top down, let the air ruffle his hair and catch some rays. It also helps that convertibles tend to look "cool." However, convertibles require special maintenance, especially when it comes to the foldable top. Convertibles typically have canvas or vinyl tops with soft, vinyl windows that are fragile and easily scratched. Fortunately, there are several products available to remove scratches from soft vinyl windows, keeping the view clear even with the top down.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Car shampoo
- Micro fibre or cotton cloth
- Plastic polish
- Terry cloth detailing towel
Clean the window before polishing by rubbing the vinyl windows with a micro fibre or cotton cloth soaked in car shampoo. Rinse the area completely and let dry.
Choose a plastic polish made for scratch removal. Plastic polishes come in aerosol cans as well as in liquid form. These can be purchased at auto body and hardware stores.
Fold the terry cloth towel into a square and spray or squeeze some of the plastic polish directly onto the towel. Do not apply the polish directly to the vinyl window.
Rub the plastic polish all over the vinyl using one side of the square towel. Make sure to work the polish in using circular motions. Let dry for five minutes.
Flip the towel around to the dry side and buff the window until it is clear. If any scratches are still visible, apply a second coat of the plastic polish.
Tips and warnings
- Regular cleaning and polishing of vinyl windows will help protect the surface from scratches and yellowing from the sun.
- Never use a paper towel or scrub brush to clean vinyl windows as this will scratch the surface more.
- Do not use chemical products to clean vinyl windows. Alcohol and ammonia will cause clouding.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for