When your bras--particularly your white ones--look discoloured from perspiration stains, you no longer need to throw them out. Instead of spending a lot of money on expensive household products to remove these yellow stains from your bras, clean them with common materials found in your kitchen and bathroom. Light-coloured bras will require colour-safe cleaning techniques to prevent fading and discolouration.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 1 tsp ammonia
- Paper towels
- Heavy waterproof object
- Baking soda
- Dish washing detergent
- Small bowl
- Old toothbrush
- Colour-safe bleach
Combine 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide with 1 tsp ammonia.
Pour the solution on the stained area on your bra.
Place paper towels over the stain after you pour the solution.
Weigh the paper towels down with a heavy waterproof object like a stapler. This will help the paper towels soak up the stain and the cleaning solution.
Leave the solution to soak for three to four hours. Rinse the bra with cold water.
Remove the Sweat Stain with Hydrogen Peroxide and Ammonia
Combine an equal amount of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.
Mix the ingredients until a paste forms.
Spread the paste on the sweat stains.
Allow the paste to dry.
Peel the dried paste from the bra. Wash the bra following the manufacturer's directions.
Remove the Sweat Stain with Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide
Dilute dish washing detergent with water. Combine an equal amount of detergent and water in a small bowl and blot the sweat stain with a cloth.
Mix the soap mixture into the stain. Use an old toothbrush to scrub the sweat stains to break up the perspiration.
Wash the garment in hot water. If the stain still remains, do not place it in the dryer.
Soak the bra in the bathtub in 4 inches of warm water. Add a colour-safe bleach detergent to the water. Follow the directions on the package to determine how much to add to the water.
Allow the bra to set in the bathtub for 40 minutes. Remove the bra from the water, and dry the bra on a clothesline.
Remove Sweat Stains from Light-Colored Bras
Tips and warnings
- Use the first two methods only on white bras.
- Use a colour-safe bleach to clean the bras if the home remedies fail. Do not use chlorine bleach because this may damage the material in the bra itself. The bleach can also react with the sweat and make the yellow stain appear darker.
- Do not dry the stained garment in the dryer until you remove the stain. This may cause the stain to remain permanent.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for