Ridding a fireplace hearth of dirt or grease stains keeps the hearth looking renewed and more attractive. Several over-the-counter chemical-based cleaning solutions are available at your local hardware store. Rather than purchase those, however, clean your fireplace hearth with ingredients you may already have around your home.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Rubber gloves
- Safety goggles
- 28.4gr. dish detergent
- 28.4gr. table salt
- Scrub brush
- Soft towel
Put on rubber gloves and safety goggles.
Mix the dish detergent and salt in a mixing bowl. Add just enough warm water to make a paste-like substance.
Apply the paste to the hearth and rub it in with your fingers or scrub it into the surface with a scrub brush. Let the creamy solution stand for about 10 minutes.
Scrub it off with a scrub brush and plain warm water. Dry the hearth with a soft towel when you are finished.
Tips and warnings
- You may want to protect carpet or outlying areas of the floor near the hearth by placing towels around the edges of the fireplace area. This can help prevent any spilt or splattered solution from causing discolouration or stains.
- If you do choose to use a stronger chemical-based cleaner to get the job done, make sure you spot test the solution on a small part of the hearth for permanent discolouration or cracking of the hearth. Follow all safety precautions as outlined on the label.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for