The rising cost of utility bills has made wood fires popular within the last few years. In addition, it is hard to compete with the cosy ambience that a wood fire can contribute to a room. By cutting your own wood logs, you not only save money but also get rid of some of the old wood and debris around your landscape. It is important to use safety measures when cutting wood to prevent any accidents. Cut your own logs and provide a warm cheery atmosphere for your home.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Pruning saw
- Lopping shears
- Wood splitter's maul
Prune off a branch that you want to use as firewood next to the branch collar (swelling that attaches the branch to the trunk), with a pruning saw. Make a downward 45-degree angle cut to reduce the risk of causing a stub.
Cut off the portions of the branch that are too small to be firewood with either a pruning saw or lopping shears, depending on the diameter of the wood.
Make 12-inch rounds (logs) of wood out of branches and stumps. You can make the rounds larger as your cutting abilities get better.
Place a round on top of a stump to cut with a wood splitter's maul. Try to find a spot that positions you slightly uphill from the round to give you more power when you split the wood. Make sure that your maul will hit the round by standing with legs slightly wide and arm extended, to see if you are far or close enough away.
Strike the round at its edge. Use your abdominal muscles to lift the maul. As the blade comes down to the round, snap your wrist forward for a quick cut. Continue to strike the round at its split (first cut) to create fire wood.
Tips and warnings
- Focus all your attention on the round when making the cut to avoid hurting yourself or hitting the dirt.
- Wear goggles and gloves to prevent wood chips from harming you as they fly up.
- Have a friend close by with a cell phone in case there are any problems.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for